Welcome to ELF 110-Space. In this 27-hour program, we will use the Kerbal Space Program, a spaceflight simulator computer game in which you build a space program using realistic rocket parts and face realistic orbital mechanics. This page contains information about ELF 100-Space and outlines the structure of the course. The prerequisites and actual course content are available for anyone who wants to play below.
The structure of the course looks something like this:
- Players get the game.
- Players learn how to play.
- Players go through directed play that illustrates realistic space flight.
- Slowly, players build up to more difficult and extended missions, until establishing a Moon (or Mun, as it's called in-game) base.
The formula for any given day looks like this:
- Players go through the directed play.
- They watch a collateral video to add historical context and tie what players learned back to reality.
- Players take a short, 5-minute quiz that is designed to be fun and reinforce what students learned.
- Install Steam and create a Steam account. If you don't want to, then feel free to acquire Kerbal Space Program in any other way
- Buy and install Kerbal Space Program (KSP for short)