Wk2 Part B – more Technology
ELF 100 Wk2 Part B
About 1 Hr
For Wk2 we are exploring the importance of Science, and the consequences of investing in the generation science and development of the tech tree. We are going to do this by playing three games of Civ 5. In Part A we will invest heavily in technology (Archery and Bronze Working) and use it militarily (to successfully conquer a city-state?). In the Part B we will undertake a similar military objective, but without the technology advantage. In Part C, we will explore a what a civilization focused only on science and technology might look like.
Here is the Game Set-up:
From the Civ 5 Main Menu Click:
Make sure “Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack (v.22) is checked
Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack (the picture in the right panel changes to an old-fashioned map)
Load Mod (this may take a moment)
On the Advanced Set-up Screen:
Click “1. Random Civilization” and change to Ashurbanipal – Assyria
Delete the other Random Civilizations until only 1 remains. This speeds game play.
Set City-States to 40. (this also speeds game play, but ensures some will be near)
Set Map Type to “Large Earth”
Set Difficulty Level to Chieftan
Set Game Pace to Quick
Set Game Era to Ancient Era
Set CS Placement to Only TSL
Ser CS Separation to Close
Set Resources to Standard
For Victory types, all should be checked
Under Advanced Game Options Check :
“Use true geographic resources placement”
Double check your set-up and hit Start Game:
- Our objective in Part B is to build 4 additional Warriors and attack the nearest city-state.
- You should begin next to a river Build your first city, Assur, immediately. It will be the only city for this scenario.
- For Production – Build a worker, then 5 warriors.
- Click on open the city view. In the upper right hit the “+” next to Citizen Management. Check “Default Focus” (should already be checked)
- For Technology develop anything but Archery and Bronze working.
- Explore with your warrior, we are looking for the closest city state. Kabul (a city in modern Afghanistan) may be to the East. Jerusalem (a city in modern Israel) may be to the south west. A city in the mountains or hills are generally harder to attack.
- For Social Policy, focus on developing the “Honor” Policy Tree. And Warrior Code. This may give you a Great General.
- Move all your military units and your Great General (if you get one) and attack the nearest city state.
- Hints: Throughout history attackers have needed at least a 3x more units than defender to overcome the advantages in defence, especially in cities and rough terrain. Did you bombard with your archers before attacking with your Spearman and Warrior?
- Did your attack succeed? Do the other city states and civilizations love you?
Write down the Key Performance Indicators for your civilization in ELF 100 Data Sheet.
Save your game, you may want it later.
© Copyright 2017 ELF Enrichment ALL RIGHTS RESERVED